Marketing is a dynamic industry and showcasing knowledge and experience in business, sales, digital marketing, and other related fields can help you better present yourself as a marketing consultant.
Let’s look at how you can present your wide-array of skills and experience on your resume and allow yourself to stand out amid a pool of applicants and appeal to employers as a marketing consultant.
How to Write a Summary as a Marketing Consultant
- Highlight your expertise. List some specialized skills you have that make you stand out among other marketing professionals and show that you have a diverse skill set. In this example, the applicant showed that he specializes in marketing consulting, digital marketing, etc.
- Showcase your extensive experience. How many years have you been working in this industry? Let the employers know! Showcase the different sub-fields you had the chance to work in to show your diverse background.
- State your objective. What do you want to do? What do you want to gain out of this upcoming work experience? Here, this applicant is looking to use his expertise to gain new skills and help businesses grow.
How to List Your Work Experience as a Marketing Consultant
- Use a reverse-chronological format. List your most recent positions at the beginning of your work experience section. This way, employers can see how you progressed over the years and how you applied learned experience and skills to a new position. And it makes it easier for them to pay more attention to your most recent work experience and tasks you performed as well.
- Use action verbs that showcase your technical skills. Action verbs are crucial in showing your employer your capabilities. The following action verbs can help you demonstrate the various basic and advanced marketing skills:
- Worked closely (with)
- Served (as)
See our list of over 350 action verbs you can use on your resume right now.
Senior Level Work Experience as a Marketing Consultant
- Report to the Assistant Vice President of Marketing Solutions on various projects and performance of the marketing team
- Curate and implement marketing editorial calendars for blogs, e-newsletter, email campaigns, ads, and social media platforms, 2 quarters in advance, and align them with the business's goals
- Lead new product-specific content development from initial idea to final version
- Generate evaluations for marketing campaigns and measuring KPIs and ROI of each platform
- Execute lead generation and niche prospecting processes to drive business growth
- Ensure consistent and cohesive brand voice, language, messaging, and image across multiple channels and maintain the various components within the Integrated Marketing Communications structure (IMC)
- Approve content and brand messaging to ensure compliance
- Conduct comprehensive market research with 4C analysis for future improvement in marketing and sales processes
- Provide key insights to C-suite executives and key investors to inform investment decisions.
- Analyze key industry trends to appropriately adjust existing marketing strategies to optimize sales
- Work closely with the sales department on curating digestible content brief for investors to facilitate the sales process, and other on ongoing initiatives
- Serve as a liaison to stakeholders and digital vendors
Junior Level Work Experience for a Marketing Consultant
- Developed and executed user-centric strategies to grow the reach and impact of our clients' online presence
- Captured new web visitors, increased retention rate, and decreased clients' page bounce rate by an average of 38%
- Incubated and executed content improvement plans and evaluated overall effectiveness
- Kept track of system back-end issues and worked with the IT department to get them resolved
- Maintained transparent communication with clients and helped them better understand the work the firm was doing for them and why it was worth investing time and money in
- Set SMART goals for the marketing department to grow clients' digital platforms and achieve target KPIs
- Managed clients' website development and e-commerce stores
- Implemented sales & promotional marketing strategies in accordance with clients' business standards
- Executed presentation directives and standards for each client acquisition field campaign
- Drafted and sent outreach content, including email marketing, website, and social media, for promoting products/services and large-scale initiatives
- Assisted the marketing & client acquisition manager with any appropriate administrative support as necessary
- Managed and coordinated webinars and virtual and in-person outreach meetings
How to List Your Skills as a Marketing Consultant
As a marketing consultant, one has to be skilled in a wide array of skills to succeed in the industry. Try emphasizing the various skills you’ve gained over the years:
- Google Analytics
- Google Ads
- Adobe Analytics
- SEO Strategies
- Google Search Console
- Market Analysis
- Digital Marketing & Social Media Strategies
- Google Adwords
- Content Marketing
- Project Management
How to List Your Education as a Marketing Consultant
Marketing consultants generally require a bachelor’s degree in marketing, business, public relations, communication, or other related degrees.
- A bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of years of relevant experience
- Complete a background check
Certifications are not required, but they can better showcase your skills and increase your chances of landing your desired job.
Marketing Consultant Career Overview
The job outlook for advertising, promotions, and marketing managers is estimated to grow 6% from 2019 to 2029.
According to Payscale, the average annual salary for marketing consultants is $59,884.
Top Salaries by Cities
- San Francisco -- $95,000
- Seattle -- $77,107
- New York -- $73,270
- Denver -- $72,409
- Washington, D.C. -- $70,000
Data provided by the Bureau of Labor Statistics and Payscale.
Related Career Paths
- Marketing Director
- Marketing Manager
- Marketing Coordinator
- Account Manager
- Product Marketing Associate
- Channel Sales Director
- Sales and Marketing Director
- Sales Director
Available job openings for Marketing Consultants
See what companies are hiring and apply for your dream job with your newly crafted resume with Easy Resume.