Tax Accountant Resume Writing Advice
Let's cover the most important sections of a Tax Accountant resume.
- Resume Summary Section
- Work Experience Section
- Certifications Section
- Languages Section
How do you write a great Tax Accountant resume?
Tax Accountants work with companies and individuals with federal and state income returns. Tax Accountants often guide clients in gathering financial information and preparing income reports that can be filed. Generally accountants have a bachelors degree in accounting. Tax Accounts are required to have a CPA to be able to file reports to the SEC.
What is a great Tax Accountant resume summary example?
The resume summary or objective is the section that draws the most attention on your resume. It's where you need to prove in the fewest words possible that you're qualified to do the job, and you're up for the new challenge. It's important to tailor your resume summary to the job. Here's an example:
Licensed Certified Public Accountant in the state of Arizona with 10+ years of experience in Financial analysis, internal auditing, and tax accounting. Seeking an opportunity to help a business make informed financial decisions
Read our guide on how to write the perfect resume summary to learn how to nail this section.
What work experiences should you include on your resume?
Here are some ideas on writing about your experiences and responsibilities as a Tax Accountant on your resume depending on the level of experience you have.
Tip: Create a Strong Work Experience Section - It's important to include action verbs and quantify results. Use this list of over 350 resume action verbs as a guide to craft the most effective bullet points.
Junior level work experience for Tax Accountant
- Maintained lead schedules for various balance sheet accounts and record related entries, including intercompany, fixed assets and prepaid expenses.
- Assisted with accounting for digital advertising sales as company ramps up efforts to monetize existing properties, including invoicing, reconciliations between ads purchased and ads run, and application of payments received.
- Reconciled various bank accounts. Prepare and record entries for the monthly close, including reclasses and accruals.
- Prepared audit schedules, providing document support and managing inquiries for two annual financial statement audits.
- Acted as backup for the entire accounts payable payment process, including batch preparation, data transfer to general ledger and payment setup using online banking platform.
Mid level work experience for Tax Accountant
- Devised individual (1040) and business tax returns (1120,1120’s,1065) and associated schedules and financial statements
- Lead tax planning and minimization analysis as the supervisor of a team with senior and junior staff members.
- Prepared personal and business tax returns for federal, state, corporate, individual, and partnerships for a minimum of 2 tax seasons at a time.
- Organized research and results with spreadsheets, tax prep and bookkeeping software for transparency
- Collected and researched data, synthesized complex information, and presented findings.
Senior level work experience for Tax Accountant
- Assume full responsibility for directing multiple tax accounting engagements
- Provide clients with Tax Compliance, Research, Consulting for corporate, partnership and individual returns•
- Oversee the direction of a team of tax specialists in the delivery of tax services
- Initiate and present effective tax planning strategies for a diverse range of middle market clients.
- Research and report on trends and developments concerning complex domestic and international tax issues.
Tip: List Licenses & Certifications Correctly - Make sure to list any licenses or certifications on your resume in the right section for the best chance to win the interview.
Tax Accountant Certifications section
Including Certifications on a Tax Accountant resume can make your candidacy stand out. See how this Tax Accountant resume example does that.
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
This resume section is a good opportunity to highlight specific skills relevant for a Tax Accountant job. Be sure to review the job requirements and adjust your skills accordingly. Take a look at the example Tax Accountant below.
Related Languages for a Tax Accountant