Architect Resume Example
Architects plan and design buildings, such as housing complexes, restaurants, and schools. They ensure that buildings fit with safety codes, local regulations, and the clients’ budgets.
How to Write a Summary for an Architect
- Mention your previous experience. Where did you intern? What projects have you worked on, what kinds of buildings and spaces have you designed? Have you presented ideas to clients, or worked directly with contractors and vendors?
- Describe your greatest strength. Are you thorough and detailed? Are you great at negotiating?
- Explain what you’re eager to accomplish in the next stage of your career. What kinds of buildings are you looking to design? Would you prefer to work for the government or in the private sector?
How to List Your Work Experience as an Architect
- Use reverse chronological format. List your most recent jobs first, as this shows managers how you’ve gained experience in the industry.
- Use action verbs related to being an Architect. Verbs are critical to demonstrating what you can do for the company. Review the following list for some powerful examples.
See our list of over 350 action verbs to find more.
Senior Level Work Experience as an Architect
- Led and supervised a staff of 20 in the development of project documents, including designs and submissions
- Coordinated with mechanical, electrical, plumbing and structural subcontractors to ensure buildings are up to code
- Discussed project feasibility with clients, providing suggestions that shorted the process by 6 weeks
- Provided initial design concepts for a middle school, outdoor restaurant, and residential complex
- Documented the scope and prices of project, ensuring efficiency and productivity
- Provided complete Design Development and Construction Document packages for 13 projects, including the development of a mall
- Managed 3-4 projects simultaneously
- Maintained time schedules and quality of submissions by leading and review staff work
- Processed RFIs, shop drawings and submissions
- Prepared 200 blueprints for corporate clients
Junior Level Work Experience as an Architect
- Stamped and sealed bid documents
- Ensured compliance with applicable codes and ADA requirements
- Coordinate the layout, design, drafting, and specifications
- Prepared construction drawings for high end residential new construction, remodeling projects, and new commercial construction utilizing AutoCAD or REVIT
- Maintained and complied with company and client specific quality control procedures, templates, checklists and standards
- Reviewed corrections and changes to ensure all areas are modified to reflect scope changes
- Responded to questions and requests for information and assistance from field inspectors, contractors, plan reviewers, code enforcement, owners/builders, employees and supervisors
- Attended client meetings and conference calls
- Prepared 52 scale drawings of planned developments using CAD software
How to List Your Skills as an Architect
Architects not only need solid drawing and designing skills, but they also need to be able to communicate with fellow architects, builders, and clients.
- Analytical Skills
- Organizational Skills
- Communication Skills
- Visualization Skills
- Technical Skills
Tip: Be specific with your technical skills. Note that you are versed in CADD technology, or that you have expertise in XML, and XML based integration technologies.
How to List Your Education as an Architect
Architects generally require a bachelor’s degree in architecture, which can take up to five years. Architects are also required to have real-life experience through three years worth of paid internships. Lastly, they must pass the Architect Registration Examination.
Requirements for licensure vary by state but generally involve the following:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 3 years of internships
- Licensure after passing the Architect Registration Examination
- Complete a background check
Tip: Employers will likely look into your social media. Keep it professional but also showcase your personality. Additionally, show off your accomplishments! Take pictures of the buildings you helped create, designs you made, or work you find inspiring.
Architect Career Overview
The job outlook for Architects is growing at 1% per year, which is considered to be slower than average. In 2019 there were 129,900 jobs available.
Architects make $80,750 per year on average. However, salaries could be as high as $137,620 depending on experience, industry, and location.
Top Paying Salaries by State
- $106,910 -- New York
- $105,380 -- District of Columbia
- $104,470 -- Georgia
Search for Architect Jobs