Financial Analyst Resume Writing Advice
Let's cover the most important sections of a Financial Analyst resume.
- Resume Summary Section
- Work Experience Section
- Certifications Section
- Skills Section
How do you write a great Financial Analyst resume?
A financial analyst resume needs to bring out technical and quantitative skills. Financial analysts often work on financial models to improve a company's financials. Resumes are usually scanned by Automated Tracking Systems in the finance industry, and you should only generate a black and white resume.
What is a great Financial Analyst resume summary example?
The resume summary or objective is the section that draws the most attention on your resume. It's where you need to prove in the fewest words possible that you're qualified to do the job, and you're up for the new challenge. It's important to tailor your resume summary to the job. Here's an example:
Experienced Financial Analyst looking to use analytical and quantitative skills to create financial models that reduce cost and improve financials at a large bank.
Read our guide on how to write the perfect resume summary to learn how to nail this section.
What work experiences should you include on your resume?
Here are some ideas on writing about your experiences and responsibilities as a Financial Analyst on your resume depending on the level of experience you have.
Tip: Create a Strong Work Experience Section - It's important to include action verbs and quantify results. Use this list of over 350 resume action verbs as a guide to craft the most effective bullet points.
Junior level work experience for Financial Analyst
- Supported Head of Finance in building operating and financial forecasts
- Provided decision support to management by building models for marketing spend effectiveness, product R&D, monetization strategies, third-party vendor contracts, and other ad hoc analyses
- Assisted the accounting team in managing business expense processes (invoice processing, fixed asset tracking, credit card management)
- Partnered with internal departments in managing monthly and quarterly close processes
- Lead ongoing reporting of key metrics to management
Mid level work experience for Financial Analyst
- Analyzed revenue and key performance indicators to identify emerging trends
- Daily maintenance of consolidated and divisional rolling forecast models
- Provided ad-hoc financial analysis and financial modeling to support business objectives
- Met with key stakeholders for review, preparation, and consolidation of annual budget
- Assisted with monthly management and quarterly Board of Director presentations
- Partnered with accounting to ensure consistency between forecast and actuals
- Reviewed actual results and variances to plan with departmental managers
- Played key role in the development, implementation and oversight of compensation and bonus incentive plans
- Calculated quarterly incentive comp calculations for sales and account management
Senior level work experience for Financial Analyst
- Assist in annual financial planning process with quarterly forecasts, periodic updates and detailed team level plans
- Develop reporting on a departmental level to give Operations and department heads deep insight into the financial performance of their functional area of the business
- Assist in implementing provider performance reporting that gives the company's medical providers better insight into their monthly financial performance
- Work with Business Intelligence platform to ensure that all reporting is integrated into the system and available conveniently to those that need it
- Develop projection models for potential acquisitions and analyze project value based on EBITDA, NPV, and Discounted Cash Flow.
Tip: List Licenses & Certifications Correctly - Make sure to list any licenses or certifications on your resume in the right section for the best chance to win the interview.
Financial Analyst Certifications section
Including Certifications on a Financial Analyst resume can make your candidacy stand out. See how this Financial Analyst resume example does that.
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) Level 1
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
This resume section is a good opportunity to highlight specific skills relevant for a Financial Analyst job. Be sure to review the job requirements and adjust your skills accordingly. Take a look at the example Financial Analyst below.
Related Skills for a Financial Analyst
- MS Excel