Server Resume Writing Advice
Let's cover the most important sections of a Server resume.
- Resume Summary Section
- Work Experience Section
- Skills and Personality Section
- Interests Section
How do you write a great Server resume?
A server needs to be passionate about providing high quality customer service, understanding food and drink menu items to answer customer inquiries about the restuarants dining selection. The resume should focus on showcasing examples of dealing with a variety of establishments and group or party sizes.
What is a great Server resume summary example?
The resume summary or objective is the section that draws the most attention on your resume. It's where you need to prove in the fewest words possible that you're qualified to do the job, and you're up for the new challenge. It's important to tailor your resume summary to the job. Here's an example:
Dynamic and engaged server who is excited to jump into any situation to offer a helping hand. Overall positive, adaptable, intuitive, with a genuine interest in the well-being of customers and teammates.
Read our guide on how to write the perfect resume summary to learn how to nail this section.
What work experiences should you include on your resume?
Here are some ideas on writing about your experiences and responsibilities as a Server on your resume depending on the level of experience you have.
Tip: Create a Strong Work Experience Section - It's important to include action verbs and quantify results. Use this list of over 350 resume action verbs as a guide to craft the most effective bullet points.
Junior level work experience for Server
- Welcomed and greeted guests to make them feel comfortable.
- Informed guests of specials and menu changes.
- Made recommendations you genuinely feel your guests will enjoy.
- Answered questions about our food, beverages and other restaurant functions and services.
- Took food and beverage orders from guests, enter orders in our point-of-sale system which relays orders to the kitchen and bar.
- Delivered food and beverages from kitchen and bar to guests in a timely matter.
- Performed side work at the start and end of each shift as required by service station assignment.
- Maintained clean service areas.
Mid level work experience for Server
- Greeted all guests in a courteous and respectable way.
- Took verbal drink and meal orders according to guest preference.
- Served high quality food and checked all orders to ensure they are complete, prepared as ordered, portioned correctly and attractive in appearance.
- Monitored and oversees food temperatures during hot and cold handling to reduce the incidence of risk factors known to cause food borne illness.
- Maintained high level of cleanliness for stations and pantry.
- Performed side work during shift downtime including but not limited to rolling silverware, restocking condiment holders, cleaning work areas, etc.
Senior level work experience for Server
- Prepare room for dining by clothing tables and setting decorations, condiments, candles, napkins, service plates and utensils
- Protect establishment and patrons by adhering to sanitation, safety and alcohol beverage control policies• Help patrons select food and beverages by presenting menu; offering cocktails; suggesting courses; explaining the chef's specialties; identifying appropriate wines; answering food preparation questions
- Stay updated on current menu choices, specialties and menu deviations, knowing if the kitchen staff is running out of any items, etc.
- Transmit orders to bar and kitchen by recording patrons' choices; identifying patrons' special dietary needs and special requests
- Keep kitchen staff informed by noting timing of meal progression
Tip: List Licenses & Certifications Correctly - Make sure to list any licenses or certifications on your resume in the right section for the best chance to win the interview.
Relevant Server Skills and Interests
This resume section is a good opportunity to highlight specific skills relevant for a Server job. Be sure to review the job requirements and adjust your skills accordingly. Take a look at the example Server below.
Related Skills and Personality for a Server
- Great Conversational Skills
- Teamwork Oriented
- Positive Outlook
- Outgoing Personality
- Highly Attentive
Related Interests for a Server
- DIY Crafts
- Theatre & Arts
- Social Media